Fujifilm Launches ”FUJINON Lens XF8mmF3.5 R WR”
-Introducing a prime lens with the widest-angle focal length among interchangeable lenses for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras
-Capturing every detail in vast expanses of landscape; Compact design to bring the world of ultra-wide angle photography to everyday use
FUJIFILM Corporation announces the launch of the “FUJINON Lens XF8mmF3.5 R WR” (XF8mmF3.5 R WR) on June 29, 2023. The lens joins the line-up of XF lenses, interchangeable lenses for the X Series of lightweight and compact mirrorless digital cameras, renowned for their outstanding image quality based on Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The XF8mmF3.5 R WR is a prime lens with the focal length of 8mm (equivalent to 12mm in the 35mm film format), the widest among the lineup of Fujifilm’s XF lenses. It is a perfect choice for capturing expansive wilderness that spreads out in front of you, or bringing out the background broadly to add a dynamic touch to a subject. The lens’s compact design enhances its portability, bringing the world of ultra-wide angle (UWA) photography to everyday use.
The XF8mmF3.5 R WR is an UWA lens, consisting of 12 lens elements, including three aspherical elements and two ED elements, in nine groups. It has the diagonal viewing angle of 121 degrees and boasts exceptional image-resolving performance with edge-to-edge clarity. The lens captures every intricate detail of a subject, covered in its characteristically wide field of view, including tree branches and leaves in expansive wilderness or ornamental details at a majestic cathedral. It also measures just 52.8mm long and weighs 215g despite being an UWA lens with the focal length of 8mm. The resulting portability means users can not only enjoy typical UWA applications such as landscape and architecture photography, but also take it out for a wide range of situations including as an everyday walkaround lens or for travel snapshots. The versatile filter thread size of 62mm facilitates the use of a variety of filters to broaden the scope of image production.
The XF8mmF3.5 R WR joins Fujifilm’s extensive lineup of a total of 42 interchangeable lenses to cover a broad range of photographic genres, offering users the joy of photography with the X Series of APS-C digital cameras.
1. Product features
(1) Widest-angle prime lens in the lineup of Fujifilm’s XF lenses
- XF8mmF3.5 R WR offers a focal length of 8mm (equivalent to 12mm in the 35mm film format), the widest angle in Fujifilm’s XF lens lineup. It covers the viewing angle of 121 degrees diagonally for UWA photography. This makes it an ideal choice for expansive wilderness photography and shooting situations involving a subject with high information volume.
- The lens consists of 12 lens elements, including three aspherical elements and two ED elements, in nine groups, thereby controlling lens distortion, spherical aberration and astigmatism to deliver advanced image-resolving performance. The lens captures every intricate detail of a subject, covered in its characteristically wide field of view, including tree branches and leaves in expansive wilderness or ornamental details at a majestic cathedral or temple. As a wide-angle lens, which typically has greater-than-normal depth-of-field, its aperture can be stopped down to facilitate pan-focusing*1.
- The lens uses the Inner Focus system, which drives compact and lightweight elements in the middle of the barrel. The wide-angle lens’s characteristically short travel distance for the focusing group of elements has boosted the focusing speed to as fast as 0.02 seconds*2, which is particularly useful in dynamic sports photography, taking advantage of the UWA field of view.
- *1 Photography where everything in the image, from the foreground to the background, is in focus
- *2 Using an internal measurement method compliant with the CIPA Guidelines, when mounted on the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-T4” with Phase Detection AF activated and the High Performance Mode turned ON
(2) Compact design that brings the world of UWA to day-to-day use
- The compact lens measures just 52.8mm and weighs 215g. The effective positioning of the aspherical and ED elements has reduced the size and weight of this UWA lens, defying the typically large form factor of UWA lenses.
- Placing distortion-controlling aspherical elements at the front has kept the filter thread size to the versatile 62mm, facilitating the use of a variety of filters to enable long-exposure photography and landscape photography, a popular genre that takes advantage of UWA’s field of view.
(3) Dust- and weather-resistant and capable of operating in temperatures as low as -10 degree Celsius
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 10 locations to achieve dust- and weather-resistance and capability of operating in temperatures as low as -10 degree Celsius. The front lens element is applied with fluorine coating to repel water and offer protection against stains. This means users can enjoy the lens with peace of mind to take photos in all shooting conditions including snapshots in daily life, travel photography and outdoor photography in light rain or in dusty places.
For full details see Fujifilm website